Cat-like smooth-flowing, harmonious movements, a self-forgetting elegance that provokes animal metaphors - Cat Jimenez has impressive physical abilities and an infallible sense of rhythm. Nothing seems impossible to this dancing female body, with a dark complexion and long jet-black hair, and as self-confident as it is unflinching, the person in it uses her extremely feminine qualities of movement. As Cat Hip Hop dances, the macho style of the black ghetto takes on a magical depth. Watching her is a pure pleasure.
Quite different is the blonde from the north: Nella Turkki from Finland does not adorn herself with the charm of the exotic, she looks like a girl next door, cheerful, natural, fresh. Her magic is that of everyday life: As a trained puppeteer, she suddenly breathes life into a kind of object-dance-theater of ordinary objects, giving them new meaning. Boxes and brooms, furniture, discarded clothing become partners in the dance, which she understands playfully. But manipulating (literally: handling) things is still a game, so when applied to humans, it becomes a threat. What if you let Nella play with Cat?
Our project for 2019 is based on the Philippine-born Cat Jimenez and the Finnish-born Nella Turkki, who are not only a visually contrasting pair, but who experiment with the interplay of hip hop, contemporary dance and object theater. This combination suggests a multiplication of layers of meaning, competition for primacy and interpretive sovereignty, as well as a discovery of new patterns of movement on both sides that it wants to deal with.
dance, research, choreography: Cat Jimenez, Nella Turkki
idea, artistic direction: Editta Braun
composition: Thierry Zaboitzeff
dramaturgy: Gerda Poschmann-Reichenau
lightdesign: Thomas Hinterberger
choreographic assistence: Anna Maria Müller
costumes: Jannett Sumbera
length: ca. 50-60 Minuten
* 1986 in the Philippines, lives in Austria. Intensive engagement with House, Hip Hop, Contemporary, Feldenkrais, Alexander Technique, Partnering and Contact Improvisation in Europe, Asia and the USA. Numerous prizes and awards.
* 1989 in Finland in 1989, studied performing arts, puppetry and contemporary dance in Finland (Helsinki, Turku), Portugal (Porto, Lisbon), Cologne and Linz. Performs as a puppeteer and dancer solo and in groups, directs, teaches and organizes dance festivals (eg TanzFaktur Köln 2017/18).
* 1958 in Austria, pioneer of contemporary choreography in Austria. Has created more than 30 productions (physical theater, dance) and tours world-wide with her company. Characteristics: intercultural collaborations and coproductions, politically engaged, feminist view on society and theater. International Prize of Arts and Culture of the City of Salzburg in 2014, Grand Prize for Performing Arts of the Region of Salzburg 2017.
* 1953 in the north of France. Founder and composer for the Avantgarde-Rock- Formation Art Zoyd, touring world-wide. Since 1995 solo and group-formation projects. Freelance composer and musician for film, dance, theater, events. Publishing of 29 Album. Currently touring with his new Trio-band ARIA PRIMITIVA in Europe. www.zaboitzeff.org
* 1959 in Linz, director and lightdesigner, working with several groups (Kraud&Ruam Theater, Dramos Teatras Kaunas,
editta braun company, Karls Kühne Gassenschau, Stifterhaus Linz).
Theater Award of Land Oberösterreich in 2004.
* 1969 in Munich, Dr. phil., studied theater in Munich and Paris. After completing her studies she worked in Salzburg as a theatredramaturgist, since 2000 freelances as a dramaturgist, lector, translator and author.
Anna Maria Müller
* 1980 in Salzburg, Mag. phil., dance education at the Arts Educational School (London), University Vienna and Anton Bruckneruniversity Linz. Since 2005 freelance dancer, choreographer. Founds 09 the Pilates Studio Innsbruck. Since 2006 member of editta braun company. Performs with ebcie in: Luvos, Matches of Time, Coppercity, Paradies, Abseits, CLOSE UP, Close Up 2.0